Check out these fun brain facts & learn some interesting information about this amazing part of the human body…your brain!
- The brain uses over 25% of the oxygen used by the human body.
- Your brain is like a powerful computer that is the center of the human nervous system.
- Your brain stores memory and controls our movements and how we think, behave, react, and make decisions.
- Our brains are incredibly complex and scientists are always making new discoveries.
- The brain has approximately 100 billion nerve cells that send and receive information around the body.
- The human brain is protected by the skull (cranium), a protective bony casing made up of 22 bones that are joined together.
- The brain of an adult human weighs around 3 pounds (1.5 kg). Even though it makes up just 2% of the body’s weight, it uses approximately 20% of its energy.
- The largest part of the human brain is called the cerebrum. Other very important parts include cerebral cortex (outermost sheet of the cerebrum & cerebellum), corpus callosum, hypothalamus, thalamus, cerebellum, hippocampus and brain stem.
- Each side of the brain interacts in large part with one half of the body, but amazingly for reasons that are not yet completely understood, the interaction is with opposite sides. For example, the right side of the brain interacts with the left side of the body, and vice versa.
- The brain is suspended or floats in fluid, called cerebrospinal fluid which acts as both a cushion to physical impact and an important barrier to infections.
- Remember a healthy diet boosts brain health!
Like & Share with family & friends!