BY DR. ROOPA CHARI, M.D.
Oct 6th, 2013
Breakfast: (eat this 3 days of the week: ex. Monday, Thursday, Saturday)
Organic Oatmeal (ideally steel cut oats with no added sugar, flavorings or preservatives) 1/4 -3/4 cup of organic Oatmeal prepared in water *For steel-cut oats, the ratio is 1 cup of water per 1/4 cup of oats. This takes about 20-25 minutes to cook.
The texture of steel-cut oatmeal is delicious, chewy and creamy.
Tip: Try making it ahead of time: Make a big batch of steel-cut oats in the evenings on Sunday night and Wednesday night. Then keep it in your fridge. Each morning, simply heat it up on a stove (not microwave). It’s an easy healthy way to have your favorite breakfast ready! Top the oatmeal with your favorite fresh organic fruit and nuts. This will add more fiber, protein and healthy fats. The toppings also make it more filling.
- Add a fruit:
- Dried fruit (such as raisins, cranberries, cherries, chopped apricots or dates)
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Chopped or sliced fresh fruit (such as one banana or apples)
- Add nuts and seeds (ideally organic):
- Alternate nuts with fresh, raw organic walnuts, almonds, pecans or pistachios
- Sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or chia seeds
- If you need a little bit of sweetener add:
- Maple syrup
- Raw, locally grown, cold-pressed (not heated) honey
- Season with spices:
- Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom or ginger
- If you want to add a little dairy or dairy substitutes:
- Add a little bit of organic greek yogurt, organic raw milk or unsweetened almond milk
About Dr. Roopa Chari, M.D.: "Dr. Roopa Chari is a medical doctor in Internal Medicine and her brother Deepak Chari is an Engineer and Certified Biofeedback Specialist at The Chari Center of Health, an advanced integrative medical center in Encinitas, CA. * Sign up for a FREE 15 minute holistic medical consult with Dr. Chari and/or a FREE 30 minute Stress & Anxiety Relief session with Advanced Voice Biofeedback with Deepak Chari here or call (760) 230-2711."