BY DR. ROOPA CHARI, M.D.
Do you dread the idea of trying to lose weight and exercise? Most of us do since the idea of losing weight brings up negative thoughts and feelings. You may even feel like it’s an impossible challenge.
After all, who really wants to think of climbing on the machines in the gym for 30 minutes to lose weight or do sit-ups at home.
If losing weight has brought you down, it is important to rethink your strategy.
You’ll be glad to discover that you don’t need to go to the gym to lose weight and get the body you want!
Here are five simple activities that will help you get healthy in a fun and enjoyable way:
- Go for a walk with a friend. A great way to get active and improve your health is to start walking with a friend. Meet during the week to take a brisk walk together, either in the morning before your day begins, during lunch, or in the evening after work.
- Schedule your walk into your day as social time. While you’re walking, take time to catch up and talk to each other. This way it feels more like a social experience instead of exercise.
- Play group sports. Another great idea for losing weight the fun way is to play group sports. Next time, instead of forcing yourself to go to the gym to use their machines, visit your local recreation center in your area.
- Start playing tennis or volleyball. With these activities, you’ll be burning off the calories while enjoying yourself and making new friends at the same time!
- Dance. Dancing is another great way to burn off calories while you have a great time. You’ll get your heart pumping, and enjoy a great complete workout!
- Take a dance class of a style of dance you have been wanting to learn (whether jazz, hip hop, salsa, or Bollywood).
- Get some dance DVD’s so you can dance in the privacy of your home without any inhibitions.
- Create a garden. Gardening and yard work are both activities that burn calories. Planting flowers or vegetables, pulling weeds, raking, hauling dirt, and doing other gardening chores can really help you get in shape.
- Other benefits includes, it helps you release stress, literally “grounds” you to the Earth and its so rewarding and healthy to grow your own food.
- When you’re squatting, bending, and pulling out weeds, you’ll be working muscles you didn’t even know you had!
- Play with your family and friends. Even something as simple as playtime outdoors with the family can help you lose some pounds and stay healthy. Whether it’s running, Frisbee, or playing tag, walking on the beach or just having fun with the family can give you some much needed activity.
- Visit a park and go hiking on the trails.
- Go swimming
- Walk on the beach
The possibilities are endless! You’ll have fun spending quality time with your family or friends. If you have children you will also teach them a healthy lifestyle as well.
Although these activities are fun, regular activity and eating a healthy diet are both important when you want to lose weight. You can’t count one weekend of gardening as your exercise for the week. Change and vary your activities for more fun, and be sure to do something to get moving every day.
Consistency is the key to reaching your weight loss goal.
Remember, exercising and getting in shape don’t have to be boring or unpleasant. There are plenty of easy activities you can do to lose weight, improve your health, and have fun at the same time!
About Dr. Roopa Chari, M.D.: "Dr. Roopa Chari is a medical doctor in Internal Medicine and her brother Deepak Chari is an Engineer and Certified Biofeedback Specialist at The Chari Center of Health, an advanced integrative medical center in Encinitas, CA. * Sign up for a FREE 15 minute holistic medical consult with Dr. Chari and/or a FREE 30 minute Stress & Anxiety Relief session with Advanced Voice Biofeedback with Deepak Chari here or call (760) 230-2711."