BY DR. ROOPA CHARI, M.D.
Dec 1st, 2012
There is a lot of discussion recently regarding eating organic food. We wanted to give you some important facts so you can decide:
1. Organic food has more nutrients! Studies from research with independent organizations has shown that organic food has higher levels of nutrients than conventionally grown produce. Organic produce is higher in antioxidants, vitamin C, and many minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium.
2. Organic food protects your brain, body and nervous system! Organic food is either free from or has a much lower level of pesticides, which are neurotoxins. Neurotoxins are toxins that can damage your brain and nerve cells. During World War I, a class of pesticides called organophosphates was developed as a toxic nerve agent. After the War, the industry used them to kill pests on foods. Many pesticides currently being used are still considered neurotoxins.
3. Eating Organic is safe and healthy for your children’s brain, nervous system and bodies. Children are very susceptible to toxins, much more than adults. Eating organic food will give your children important nutrients from a safe source. So you don’t have to worry about your kids having the danger of increased exposure to pesticides and genetically-modified organisms from conventionally sprayed and grown produce! In fact, Harvard researchers found that low-level exposure to common pesticides (possibly from residues on foods) actually doubles the childs risk of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Kids with higher-than-average levels of pesticide metabolites (pesticide break-down products) in their urine were about twice as likely to have ADHD as kids with undetectable levels of pesticides in their urine.
4. Protect your Gut! Research has shown that at least 18% percent of all genetically-modified (GMO) seeds are engineered to produce their own pesticides. When you eat the food grown from GMO seeds, they may continue producing pesticides inside your own body (such as in your intestines). This has the potential of causing inflammation in your gut! (more on this in future articles)
5. Organic food has been tried and tested for generations. It has been estimated that genetically-modified food makes up 80% of the average person’s food consumption. Remember, genetic modification of food is still experimental. Eat organic!
6. Buying Organic will help reduce the toxins and pollution in our drinking water. Pesticides pollute our water! The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has estimated that pesticides pollute the main source of water for half the American population.
7. Organic food supports our planet. Organic food production is sustainable for our future and has been around for thousands of years. In the U.S. and many parts of the world, the environment has been damaged because of modern agricultural practices with the widespread use of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers.
8. Support your local farmers by buying Organic food: By choosing to buy and eat organic food, you will help to support farmers with smaller scale organic farms. This will help our family farmers who dedicate their lives for our behalf.
9. Organic farms are safer for farmers & workers. Among people exposed to pesticides, research at the Harvard School of Public Health found a 70 percent increase in Parkinson’s disease. In addition, kids whose parents work with pesticides are more likely to get leukemia and brain cancer. Other studies reveal that childhood leukemia is directly related to increased pesticide use around the home. Nine different studies that were reviewed by the National Cancer Institute also showed a correlation between pesticide exposure and brain cancer. (more on this in our next article) Imagine, that by making a choice to eat more organic food you will benefit the health of those who work on the farms since they will not be exposed to the toxic pesticides. Buying organic is the gift that keeps on giving!
10. Eating organic may reduce your risk of getting cancer. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that 90% of fungicides, 60% of herbicides and 30 percent of insecticides can potentially can cancer. Dr. Robert Blaylock, a nationally renowed Neurosurgeon reported a 2007 French study which showed an important link between farming and the incidence of lymphoma. It showed a 270% increased risk for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and 220% increase in Hodgkin’s lymphoma. There was also a 280% increased risk of developing a blood cancer called multiple myeloma!
We hope that you found this information helpful. For all of the above stated reasons, for the health of you and your family PLEASE EAT ORGANIC as much as possible!
About Dr. Roopa Chari, M.D.: "Dr. Roopa Chari is a medical doctor in Internal Medicine and her brother Deepak Chari is an Engineer and Certified Biofeedback Specialist at The Chari Center of Health, an advanced integrative medical center in Encinitas, CA. * Sign up for a FREE 30 minute holistic medical consult with Dr. Chari and/or a FREE 30 minute Stress & Anxiety Relief session with Advanced Voice Biofeedback with Deepak Chari here or call (760) 230-2711."